Sunday, November 09, 2008

Street Performing and Street Art

I have been a semi-frustrated performer almost all my life. Sure, I have had my fair share of ballet and piano recitals, school plays, speeches and other things which escape my mind at the moment. But what I really haven’t tried is to perform in the streets. In a lot of western cities, begging comes in a lot of forms. Whether they are art camouflaged or magic tricks to entertain. I have seen in the streets: a contortionist, man eating fire, man on a bike on a tight rope, magician playing tricks, a mime dressed in silver paint, chalk artist on the pavement, musicians wearing their didgiredoos and a bit of cloth, singing acrobats, young violinist, ball juggler, man making music with glass beer bottles, etc etc etc.

I am sure each of us have seen them at least once. I say they are all on a league of their own with their performances. Whether it is a silent act, or a scene stealer. I have a sense of respect for them who have guts, courage and (sometimes) unique talent.

These travellers, backpackers, locals, or whoever they are and wherever they come from, they form part of the street scene which makes walking down the street a bit more interesting. They can be a nuisance to some, but really it is your choice whether you want to stop and see them do their thing. Whatever their reason is for doing this, does not really matter (much).

No comments:

The big 4-0

Turning 40 soon has had me thinking about a few things lately. One, major one is whether to have another baby. Hmm. I guess this is partly n...