Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Cooking up

Well, for the past 25 years of my life I did not cook. The recent 7 years I now have. Tried. Really, truly tried. And, it's only recently that I admitted to this. Or maybe it's only recently that I have enjoyed cooking up a meal. Not that I am a good cook. If there was an award I could come up for myself in this department it is the most ambitious and persevering trying-hard cook.

When I was in Manila last month I had a a good thirty or so must eat food listed down. I was able to accomplish eating about 25 of it which was good enough (well, if only I had eaten street fishballs!!). One food which I got to eat  but did not really crave was : bibingka. I saw that in the mall they were selling the old style ones and I was wanting to buy them (but opted for dunkin donuts' munchkins instead-hihihi). So, one time when I had lunch with my mum at C2 in Shangrila I ordered their Bibingka souffle for dessert. And, it was heavenly!!! Seriously! Now, having been back in Sydney I can still savour the taste. I even googled a Bibingka Souffle recipe, which I hope to make soon! And, hopefully it would taste at least close to C2's. The recipe I copied below: (photo from clickthecity.com)

Bibingka Soufflé

4 c coconut milk
2 c sugar
4 whole eggs, beaten
1½ c cornstarch
4 pc salted eggs, chopped
Combine coconut milk and sugar. Slightly heat until dissolved.
Combine the cornstarch with half of the warm coconut milk. Put back into the mixture, cook until thick, stirring continuously.
Off the fire, temper the eggs into the mixture and cook until thick.
Set aside to cool. Add the salted eggs.
3 c egg whites
2 c sugar
6 tbsp cornstarch

For garnish:
1 tbsp queso de bola
1 tsp toasted coconut
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar.
Fold in cornstarch and mix well. Fold in base to egg white mixture.
Pipe into buttered ramekins and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350º F.
Garnish with grated queso de bola and toasted coconut. Serve with Creme Anglaise on the side

Creme Anglaise:
2½ c fresh milk
½ c egg yolks
½ c sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Scald milk, combine sugar and egg yolks. Temper egg yolks mixture into the milk.
Cook until thickened, stirring continuously. Add vanilla.

Bibingkang Galapong
1½ k rice, soaked for three to five hours
8 whole eggs, beaten
1 tall can evaporated milk
1 c coconut milk
1 k sugar
½ c butter
, melted
¼ c + 2 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp active dry yeast
Topping:
Salted eggs or cottage cheese

Garnish:
Butter
Coconuts, fresh and grated
Drain rice. Add water one inch above the rice then grind very finely to produce thick consistency.
Blend all ingredients together. Strain if the mixture becomes lumpy. Let the mixture rest for about 30 minutes to one hour.
Pour about ½ c mixture in a banana-lined round bibingka pan. Top with salted eggs or cottage cheese or combination of both.
Cook in bibingkahan, charcoal or electric bibingka oven.
Spread each bibingka with butter. Serve with fresh grated coconut.
Yields 18-20 pieces

No comments:

The big 4-0

Turning 40 soon has had me thinking about a few things lately. One, major one is whether to have another baby. Hmm. I guess this is partly n...