Sunday, May 30, 2010

How about that fondant?

Yesterday I made my first fondant!! Yes!! For some reason I have been obsessed with the thought of being able to do my own fondant, so I finally did my research some 48 hours ago, and then decided I would try. Well, it was quite successful if I may say so, given that I had only 45minutes to complete the whole thing. I had to make use of a ready made sponge cake though coz I was in a rush. The fondant was for my brothers who we were taking to the airport within the hour of making the fondant. Still. It was fun. I think some sort of like a therapy thingamathing.

So here is how I made it:

INGREDIENTS
Marshmallow bag
Water
Shortening
Icing Sugar/Confectioner's Sugar
Food colouring (optional)

UTENSILS
Mixing Bowl
Spatula
Rolling pin
Ziplock Bag

1. Grease all utensils, including hands, with shortening to avoid marshmallow sticking on it.

2. Microwave a big bag of marshmallows in a bowl for about 30 seconds at a time. Drop about 3 spoonful water in the bowl. Keep microwaving/adding water until a gooey consistency is reached.

3. Transfer the mixture onto a clean flat surface and knead the mixture while adding the sugar gradually. Do this until the mixture has a play-dough consistency (firm but not hard).

4. Take a portion of the blob, and keep what you wont be needing in a ziplock container. And then roll the remainder of the fondant into your desired shape. Should the fondant stick onto the surface, just add more sugar. Add food colouring if required. Just a tiny drop of colouring would go a long way. Knead the fondant again to attain the colour desired.

5. Put the fondant over the cake. Smoothen and make sure that the fondant and cake are firmly together. Pop air pockets with a pin and smoothen.

6. Trim the edges from the cake/fondant.

7. Decorate!

See, so simple! If I knew it was this simple I would have made my own wedding cake. Seriously!!

Now, I can't wait for Bella's 5th month celebration so I could make her her first fondant cupcake :)

P.S. Nope, I don't have all the time in the world, believe me this was squeezed during B's short nap!!! Yes, I hope I am turning into a supermum! :)

No comments:

The big 4-0

Turning 40 soon has had me thinking about a few things lately. One, major one is whether to have another baby. Hmm. I guess this is partly n...