Monday, June 23, 2008

When ages were revealed

During my recent trip to Mauritius I felt I was one of the "older ones". Although being the only asian in the group, I told them I was only 18 years old, and I passed looking like it! Of course I told them later on I was kidding. This was at dinner on our first night. Ages were revealed. I probably was 7th from the oldest, out of a group of 15 people. So, I wasn't the oldest then. But of the younger ones, I felt old. I wasn't really up for too much partying anymore. I would stay after dinner maybe until about midnight, and then call it a night. The rest of the younger ones I heard stayed up til about 4AM on our last day! I don't think I could last that long anymore. By choice anyway. I preferred to enjoy my posh room, uber comfy heavenly dream bed with fluffy pillows and blanket. My hotel room aircon turned on, dim lights in the background, watching tv, munching on a few chips and a bar of chocolate while drinking my ice cold cola. Until I fall asleep.
There were a few mornings that I intentionally woke up early to catch sunrise. We were situated in the east of the island, so sunrise was glorious! Facing the beach, it was unobstructed view of the sun as it rose. Perfect. I would prefer these, over nursing a hangover or being cranky coz of lack of sleep. The younger ones told me the following after their "big night" that they wish they had gone back to their rooms/plopped into bed the time when I said my goodnights to them. Ah! I knew better. It comes with age, really. You choose comfort over doing "fun" things in the wee time of the night (or morning). One can really still do fun things and not miss out on sleep in the company of oozing bottles of alcohol. At that time, I didn't feel the pressure nor the urge to party on. Maybe if this happened a decade ago, I would have not been able to resist the temptation.

True, I wasn't in Mauritius all the time, but then again, I would prefer to be sober and happy and making Mauritian memories. Than drunk with regrets the following day.

Choose between late night partying and alcohol VS. a quiet relaxing short late night in my super nice hotel room? I'd choose the quiet evening. That's really choosing the better option. C'est La Vie.

No comments:

The big 4-0

Turning 40 soon has had me thinking about a few things lately. One, major one is whether to have another baby. Hmm. I guess this is partly n...